We the people of this earth community commit ourselves to the creation of a peaceful, just and sustainable world that ensures the right to life of all current and future generations. We commit to bringing forth an environmentally sustainable, spiritually fulfilling and socially just human presence on this planet. We honor our mutual interdependence with all life.
We recognize and celebrate that we are:
- the earth via the plants and animals that nourish us.
- the rains and oceans that flow through our veins.
- the breath of the forests, land, plants of the sea.
- called to nurture an awakening that will lead us out of darkness into a golden age of harmonious living with the natural world.
- responsible for upholding the rights of all to clean air, water and all life-sustaining natural resources.
- all born of the same sacred spirit and enriched by religious, cultural, and racial diversity.
- aware that the quality of life for all species on this planet is now in our hands.
We resolve to:
- protect the air, water, soil and web of life by staying aware of our interconnectedness and acting in the interests of the whole.
- develop awareness of the ecological and social costs of our individual actions and reduce our carbon footprint.
- to move from dominance to partnership; from fragmentation to connection; from insecurity to interdependence.
- to recognize the roles of other species and the importance of diversity in nature.
- make these principles the foundation of our daily lives.
We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all species have evolved with equal and unalienable rights, that among these are a healthy environment, access to the common air, water and food and the opportunity to serve and contribute to the greater good. We vow to respect and act within the capabilities of our planet’s life-support systems. We resolve to act by peaceful means to alter or abolish behavior that threatens our ecosystem and the life of future generations.
We the undersigned commit ourselves to the embodiment and incorporation of these principles into our daily lives!
Adapted from the David Suzuki Foundation
Please join us in signing the Declaration by leaving a comment below.